Tim, Tripadvisor Review, May 2019
The room we had was really big with a nice en-suite. The owners were friendly and welcoming. They have a bar in the hotel and a really nice place to meet people in the evening. About 10 minute walk to town but a nice walk along the coast. Definitely recommend this hotel and will be back!
Date of stay: May 2019, Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Hi all, Just felt I needed to send this e mail In way of saying thank you for a lovely long weekend we had with you .
The breakfasts were lovely and everything catered for, the room was out of this world, nice and big and warm .
Nothing was to much trouble for yourselves to do . Stayed in room 4, Dec 2018, Margaret & Dave .
Margaret & Dave
AA INSPECTION REPORT – NOVEMBER 2018
”The purpose of this routine day inspection was to re-assess The Ilfracombe House against AA Quality Standards and to review scoring in line with any changes that may have been made since our last visit.
– Externally the property is well cared for with clear signage and appropriate lighting levels in the evening.
– The rear car park remains well maintained too.
– No changes to report to the public areas other than plans to replaster the corridors and replace the carpet in the fullness of time.
– Most bedrooms and bathrooms have been fully refurbished. New bespoke furniture, which helps to maximise available space has been introduced, new coordinated décor, new handmade curtains, new carpets, new lighting and new coffee trays. All of a very good quality and of a more contemporary style.
– The bathrooms have gone through a similar upgrade process. The new showers are a great addition and, I am sure, much appreciated by guests.
– The rest of the rooms will be upgraded in due course.
– A diligent approach to cleanliness was clear with no lapses found on this occasion.
– As a result of this positive inspection a Four Star classification with a Guest Accommodation designator has been retained. We wish you well and look forward to returning during the next cycle of inspections”.
STAR RATING: 4-STAR Guest Accommodation, 23rd November 2018
We went to a show at the Cliffs Pavilion and our friends had booked us into the Ilfracombe House Hotel via Booking.com some months before. I requested a room with a walk in shower, which we were given, and the room was excellent (Room 9). Breakfast was great, buffet style but fried and poached eggs were cooked to order. On checking the hotels own website and talking to the manager/owner we could have saved at least £10 by booking direct, plus you can discuss any specific room needs. The hotel and room were very clean and the team extremely helpful. Great location for the going to a show and staying over. We didn’t have an evening meal as we ate pre-show.
Date of stay: November 2018
What a lovely smaller hotel. I will no longer stay in the large chain hotels when next visiting Southend. The rooms were very modern, clean, and well-furnished – and importantly with plenty of space. Bathrooms very modern and new. But above all, the service was brilliant. From the moment I arrived and was given immediate help to park my car, the Ilfracombe Hotel set itself apart with it’s incredibly friendly and helpful staff. Breakfast was also outstanding. This hotel is a hidden gem amongst all the other hotels in Southend.
Ascot, United Kingdom
Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Difficult to get a hotel with parking in Southend near Leigh and I hate having to walk with luggage and laptops.
Staff were great parking is tight but as long as you don’t mind leaving your keys they sort it out.
Rooms are a little dated but it’s all clean and windows open. No AC for awareness not that this matters in Nov. Desk small but big enough to work on.
WI-FI painfully slow ok for emails but don’t try and VPN into work on it. Think I got Netflix going just.
Breakfast great buffet style but they will cook your eggs fresh.
Staff were great throughout on the phone and in person.
Plus they have Guinness at the bar which always puts a smile on my face.
Bertie the owner and staff very welcoming, rooms are very clean had everything in the room you. Could want breakfast was delicious and plenty of it would highly recommend this hotel thank you Bertie and staff for looking after the both of us.
Date of stay: October 2018
Everything good to be said about this accommodation has already been highlighted & I agree with all comments. What I personally feel should be mentioned is the stairs. The bedrooms are located on different floors which are accessed by the main stairway consequently, if you have walking ailments it may be prudent to check which floor you will be allocated prior to confirming any booking. This comment is not detrimental to the establishment or proprietors but I feel it’s worth a mention.